“I believe that first impressions are very important.” F.W. de Klerk
If you want to make a positive impression on a virtual platform, here are things you should NOT do:
- Sit far back from the computer screen so you seem detached.
- Not look at the camera so there is no eye contact.
- Look down at the camera so you seem aloof.
- Have clutter in the background.
- Not turn off email or other messaging applications.
- Not minimize external distractions.
- Check email during the conversation.
- Have lighting behind you or to the side, creating a shadow on your face.
- Allow sunlight, direct or reflected, to shine into the webcam.
- Wear black, white or bright colors that may reflect light.
- Wear thin stripes