Tip #647: Feedback Models ABC through BET
“We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.” Bill Gates
I thought it would be interesting to see the types of feedback models out there. I found 20 that could define themselves in acronyms!! We’ll look at five models at a time. As we do, please see if any of these resonate with you, either because you use this approach already or you can see the value in using it.
- ABC: Action, Because, Could We
- Action: Present data that supports the specific issue to be addressed.
- Because: Explain the importance of addressing the issue due to its impact on the effectiveness of the employee, team and/or organization.
- Could We: Identify resources, needs and action plans to implement a solution that will address the issue.https://gbr.pepperdine.edu/2011/02/the-abcs-of-effective-feedback/
- AID: Action, Impact, Development/Desired Behavior
- Action: Emphasize the employee’s action, not the supervisor’s interpretation
- Impact: Describe the positive or negative impact on the end result or the process itself.
- Development/Desired Behavior: Determine what happens next, with the emphasis on what is missing instead of what is wrong. http://masterfacilitator.com/aidmodelforeffectivefeedback/
- BEAR: Behavior, Effect, Alternative, Result
- Behavior: Describe specific, detailed observations of negative or non-productive behaviors
- Effect: Describe the concrete effect of what the employee is or is not doing.
- Alternative: Recommend and describe the desired behavior with a specific time frame for accomplishment
- Result: Describe the desired result of the changed behavior. https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/feedback-bear-model-1-mahmoud-abd-al-rahman
- BEEF: Behavior, Example, Effect, Future
- Behavior: What the employee does or did.
- Example: A specific instance.
- Effect: The effect it had on the supervisor, someone else, or the outcome.
- Future: What the supervisor wants to happen from now on. https://rapidbi.com/cobs-or-corbs-feedback-model-for-performance-management/
- BET: Behavior, Effect, Thank you
- Behavior: What the employee did (that was positive).
- Effect: Describe the positive result.
- Thank you: Give the employee appreciation. https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/giving-feedback-bet-model-mahmoud-abd-al-rahman
May your learning be sweet.