s we have considered in the past two Tips, adult learning principles are applied through the use of specific techniques in the classroom. These techniques are based upon decisions that the instructors make about what will be taught and how it will be taught. It is possible to determine the probability of learning in the classroom by evaluating these decisions, which fall into three discrete categories:
- Content: What content to cover in the class.
- Learner Activities: What the learner will do to learn and to demonstrate that learning has occurred.
- Learning Facilitation: What the instructor will do to facilitate the acquisition of that learning through stand up presentation and group facilitation.
There are five training best practices that fall … Read the rest
How do we decide what degree of difficulty or complexity of content is appropriate for our learners? Our needs assessment will have to determine:
- Who is the target audience?
- What general content needs to be covered?
- What will our learners be expected to do once they leave the training session?
- What is their current level of skill or knowledge in this content area?
- What post-training reinforcement is available to the participants?
The answers to these questions will help us to decide what level of complexity in the content is necessary and appropriate. For example, suppose that we determine that our learners will be expected to independently perform a responsibility that is entirely new to them. We will know then that … Read the rest