Difficult Behavior: Complains about anything and everything, including: the room, materials, topics, instructor, organization, weather, refreshments, etc. Focus is on what is wrong or bad rather than on what is right or good.
What a Trainer Can Do:
In front of the group:
- Acknowledge the validity of the complaint;
- Apologize for the inconvenience;
- Determine the desired remedy;
- Indicate what will be done to address it (if anything can be done);
- Identify the time necessary to implement the resolution;
- Thank the person for bringing up the issue;
- Initiate action to resolve the issue; and
- Move on.
If the complaint is not valid:
- Apologize for the person’s distress.
- Clarify your distance from the decision that generated the complaint.