In this week’s Tip, we continue our look at resources to help folks who are considering making a career switch and want to start their own business.
There are many internet resources with information and advice for individuals who are interested in starting their own business. Here are a few national and state resources:
If you are interested in starting your own business:
• http://www.sba.gov provides a wealth of information on starting a business under “Small Business Planner.”
• http://www.score.org and local Small Business Development Centers usually located at state universities (such as http://www.wisconsinsbdc.org) provide free one-on-one counseling to those interested in starting and expanding a business. In addition, the Small Business Administration offers free online classes for small business, … Read the rest
In this week’s Tip, we continue our look at resources to help folks who are considering making a career switch and want to get additional education or experience.
There are a large number of internet resources available to assist individuals who know are interested in getting additional education or would like experience in volunteer jobs or internships.
If you are interested in getting additional education:
• http://www.doleta.gov provides a comprehensive list of adult programs including “America’s Labor Market and Information System.”
• http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/college identifies and ranks colleges.
• http://www.wisconsincontinuingeducation.com provides reviews and recommendations of vocational and technical schools.
• http://www.rwm.org/rwm/tf_wis.html offers a vocational school database. Many vocational schools provide career counseling and assessment.
• http://litlink.ket.org provides an integrated instructional system … Read the rest
In this week’s Tip, we continue our look at resources to help folks who are considering making a career switch and know what job they want.
There are a large number of internet resources available to assist individuals who know what job they want. I’ve listed a number of State of Wisconsin sites, but you should be able to find comparable sites in your own state.
If you know the type of job you want:
• http://www.Workforce50.com serves older workers with a full service job board and career site. All jobs are placed by employers specifically interested in staffing from the over-50 workforce. Their employment and education resources cater to mature workers searching for employment, in transition or approaching retirement.… Read the rest
In this week’s Tip, we begin a look at resources to help folks who are considering making a career switch.
According to a study commissioned by the AARP Public Policy Institute, older employees who changed career paths were happy with their choice. Of the 1,705 workers AARP tracked for more than a decade to study how they coped with career change, 91 percent said they were happy with their new jobs, compared to 79 percent who said they were happy in their old jobs. Reduced stress and flexible work schedules were among the reasons older workers handled career changes well.
As you think about a new career, there are a number of ways you can approach it. Whether you are … Read the rest